Progress continues for mens hockey team

24 10 2008

Dumfries travelled to play Uddingston full of confidence after a good victory the previous week. A strong squad of 12 were hoping to continue to their climb up the table. A new warm-up routine also saw the team ready to play from the start, which was something, which had been identified as a problem in previous weeks.

The team lined up in their favoured 3-4-3 formation and after a few minutes of pressure from Uddingston, Dumfries got a foothold in the game and started to work the ball well around the pitch.

Scott Robertson had a good run into the area but his shot went wide.

The first goal saw Jamie Campbell pick the ball up on the right side and fire it across the area, the Uddingston defender failed to control and the ball fell to captain Iain Callander who smashed it into the bottom left corner of the goal.

The momentum built for Dumfries and a second goal soon followed.

Again Campbell picked the ball up on the right and passed to Robertson who coolly swept it past the keeper from the penalty spot.

The second half began with Uddingston playing an extra player up front but this only allowed more space for Dumfries as they broke on the counter attack.

They failed to make the space count and could not get the third goal, which would have killed the game off.

Dumfries had one clear chance when Toby Austin picked the ball up just inside the opposition half and drove towards goal, however, just as he tried to release the pass he was thwarted by an Uddingston defender who stole the ball from him.

The third goal came on another break down the right side of the pitch. The initial shot was saved by the keeper but fell straight to Austin who controlled well and flicked the ball past the helpless keeper and into the goal for his first goal for the team.

Uddingston continued to press and almost converted from a penalty corner but the deflected effort went narrowly wide.

Even with minutes to go, the willingness of all the Dumfries players was clear to see as they attacked in numbers and on losing possession were quickly back behind the ball to try and prevent Uddingston getting anything from the game.

Dumfries held on for a valuable away three points and a first clean sheet of the season.

There were some outstanding displays all over the pitch and this was highlighted in the fact that Dumfries keeper Stuart Moscrop only touched the ball three times in the whole game.

The man of the match went to Jamie Campbell for his superb wing play and two assists for the first two goals. His attacking play was outstanding and even in the closing minutes of the game he was back defending in his own goal area.

Dumfries team: S Moscrop, R Wilson, J McCoskry, G Edgar, I Callander (capt), J Bennett, M Redman, A Ross, S Robertson, J Campbell, T Austin. Sub: M Coulter.

Dumfries look to carry their good form into next week’s game at home to Kelburn Vs at the King George V Park, Dumfries, push back is scheduled for 12.30pm and all players are expected to meet at 11.30am.

Anyone interested in playing hockey is welcome to any of the club’s training sessions on Tuesday nights from 6pm-8pm.

Dumfries and Galloway Standard



%d bloggers like this: