Dumfries make it five from five against Hillhead

22 11 2008

A high-flying Dumfries team travelled to Glasgow full of confidence after four wins in a row and clean sheets in their last two.

But players knew the game would not be a stroll in the park as Hillhead were on the same points in the league.

Dumfries started the sharper side and this paid off after 10 minutes, when they took the lead.

Some scrappy play at the top of the Hillhead area saw the ball break through to Scott Robertson who took it round the defender and somehow squeezed it in from the narrowest of angles.

The visitors doubled their lead with a superb team shot.

A rare Hillhead attack broke down and the Dumfries side stroked the ball around the park like it was a Tuesday night training session.

A superb string of 18 passes saw the ball moved down the right wing to Robertson whose pin-point pass to Jimmy Clark was slammed past the keeper and into the bottom left corner of the goal.

The quality of the goal was recognised by all the spectators who rose to their feet to applaud the Dumfries side.

The home side pulled one back after winning a penalty corner from a good attacking position.

The ball was dragged out to the top of the area and some superb skill from the Hillhead forward saw him drag-flick the ball past Stuart Moscrop and into the goal.

Dumfries defender Ross Wilson’s attempt to stop it was in vain as the sheer power behind the shot left him with no chance.

The visitors scored a third shortly before half time with another break down the right side of the pitch.

Jamie Campbell’s miss-hit pass bounced into the air and was met on the volley by Clark who saw his shot bounce into the ground and past the stranded keeper to reinstate the two-goal cushion for Dumfries.

The second half started with some even play with both sides having chances to test the opposition keeper and defence.

Again Moscrop made some crucial stops to keep Dumfries ahead in the match.

The best chance in the opening stages was when Hillhead won another Penalty Corner.

This time Wilson knew it was coming and he made a superb stop on the line just as the ball was flying into the top corner of the net.

Dumfries sealed the game half way through the second half when a cross from Andy Ross saw Toby Austin sneak in behind the defender and slip the ball through the keeper’s legs.

A nervy finish to the game saw Dumfries give away another penalty corner, which again was superbly finished by the Hillhead attacker for the second time.

The home side did have one other penalty corner award in the closing stages of the game but this time team captain Iain Callander was out quickly to press the ball and he managed to deflect the shot over the crossbar.

Dumfries put in another excellent display with some real moments of class, especially for the second goal.

Similar performances will be needed in the coming weeks if the team are looking to continue their climb towards the top of the table.

The man of the match was awarded to Jimmy Clark whose two goals for Dumfries were scored at crucial times.

He held the ball up well in attack and allowed his teammates the chance to get up in support.

A superb performance in what proved to be a testing game for the Dumfries striker.

The next match for Dumfries is at home to Helensburgh Is, who have had a good start to their season and currently sit in second place in the table.

Selected players are asked to meet at KGV, Dumfries at 1.15pm.

Dumfries Ladies IIs are also playing at home on Saturday with push back scheduled for 12.15pm.

Anyone interested in playing hockey is invited to the King George V Park, Dumfries on a Tuesday from 6pm-8pm.

Team: Moscrop, Wilson, McCoskry, Edgar, Callander (C), Bennett, Campbell, Ross, Clark, Austin, Robertson. Subs: Waterhouse.



%d bloggers like this: