Hockey: Three wins for Dumfries

14 03 2009

Dumfries went into Saturday’s game against Hillhead filled with confidence after getting back to winning ways last week, in a tough fought game away to Ayr.

A solid squad of 13 players were hopeful of getting a good result and continue their progress in the league.

After watching the Dumfries Ladies IIs win their game 2-1, the men looked to make it a good day for the home sides.

The game started well for Dumfries whose early pressure paid off as they won a penalty corner.

Hopkin played out the ball to Callander who struck the ball towards goal and the keeper saved it. The rebound fell kindly to striker Sean Curley who flicked the ball past the keeper and into the goal just as the umpire blew the whistle for an offence by the attacking team.

Both teams seemed perplexed by what was happening as the umpires had a discussion about why the game had been stopped.

Both team captains spoke and decided that the penalty corner should be re-taken which both umpires agreed to.

Dumfries looked to set the record straight and score again but the shot from Curley went narrowly wide of the right hand post.

The remainder of the half was evenly contested with both teams having chances to score.

Moscrop marshalled the Dumfries goal area well with his defence of Wilson, Edgar and McCoskry.

Hillhead did have a good opportunity to score on the break when the clearance fell to an attacker at the top of the area.

Moscrop rushed out to narrow the angle but the forward slid the ball past him only to be foiled by Wilson who stopped the ball on the line and cleared the ball over the sideline.

Dumfries were happy to get to half-time at 0-0 as they had not performed well. The change of tactics at the interval saw an injection of pace to the front line as Robertson went to centre forward.

This had an immediate impact as Dumfries took the lead two minutes into the half.

Robertson won a free hit just outside the area. The hit was taken by Bennett who drilled the ball low towards the centre of the goal and Robertson deflected the ball through his legs and past the keeper into the goal.

A second goal followed soon after when again Robertson won a free hit for Dumfries just outside the area.

Callander took the free hit and a carbon copy of the first goal saw Robertson deflect the raised ball past the keeper to double the lead for the home side.

Dumfries extended their lead to three when Hillhead played a loose pass across the pitch.

Callander intercepted the cross-field ball and drove goalwards, he beat one defender and slipped the ball square to Curley who finished well and scored on his debut for the club.

Hillhead did have a chance to get back into the game after a loose ball in the area was not cleared by the Dumfries defence.

The striker forced Moscrop to save with his feet and Callander dragged the ball away to safety.

This was to be the last chance of the game as Dumfries held on to win the game comfortably. A much better performance in the second half saw Dumfries keeper Moscrop only touch the ball three times.

The day was capped of well as the Dumfries Ladies firsts won their game 5-2 against Glasgow Accies.

Team: S Moscrop, R Wilson, J McCoskry, G Edgar, I Callander (Capt.), R Hopkin, S Robertson, A Ross, S Curley, S Robertson, T Austin. Subs: J Bennett, M Coulter.

Dumfries have two games this weekend, a league game on Saturday away to Helensburgh and a cup game on Sunday away to Galashiels Rievers.

Anyone interested in playing hockey is invited to the King George V Park, Dumfries on a Tuesday from 6pm-8pm.

Dumfries and Galloway Standard



%d bloggers like this: