Hockey: Captain’s report for 2009/10

28 05 2010

With the loss of eight players, including top goal scorer and player of the season, this was always going to be a hard season, writes John McCoskry, Dumfries Men’s Hockey club captain 09/10.

This was evident in our opening four games where we were over five players short and subsequently lost 19 goals with only two in response – one of our worst ever starts to the season.

Things started to look up after the fifth game, it was at home to Kelburne and our first with a full squad. We romped home with a convincing 5 – 0 win. This we followed up with a 2-1 home win to Ayr.

Our next game was away to Hillhead 4s and was memorable because three players and the team kit were stuck on the M74 for a couple of hours, only just making the start of the match and Sandy Rennie rejoined the Dumfries side from Falkirk.

The match was 1-1 at half time, but a tactical substitution by Hillhead resulted in a 5-1 loss. A close loss to Helensburgh at home followed.

Our next game saw us away to Giffnock with only nine players, being slightly deflated after our start to the season we played out of our skins to win 3-1.

Our next game was at home to Hillhead 5s and some of our old players. We had 14 players and secured a comfortable 3-1 win which was followed by a great night on the town.

Our final game before Christmas was an exciting 10-goal thriller that saw us steal a point away to Clydesdale.

At the halfway point in the season we had 13 points and were fourth from bottom in the league.

Our opening encounter after the mid season break was away to Lanarkshire with only nine players. Although we all played well the two extra players showed and we lost 6-1.

After this, our team seemed rejuvenated and went on a six-game unbeaten run including a 4-2 away win and another away 10 goal stunner against Ayr, several times coming back from two goals down.

Unfortunately the low point is that we had to concede an away game to Helensburgh as we couldn’t even manage to field a team of seven players.

Our unbeaten run came to an end at Balgray against Hillhead 5s where vice Captain Stuart Boulton had managed to persuade two of his friends, who hadn’t played since school, to play for us. This friendly match was soured as Hillhead’s first goal clearly hit the forward’s feet before he slotted it past the Dumfries keeper.

An Iain Callander strike put us level for half time. Unfortunately Hillhead’s fresh legs saw them finish the winners 3-1 after slotting home a penalty stroke.

The match was followed by an amazing night out in Glasgow which I hope will become a regular feature between these two clubs.

Our final two games saw us away to the top two teams in the league, which saw a 9-1 loss to Monklands, helped by their drag flick expert at short corners.

Our final game was a close run 2-1 loss away to GHK.

So we finished the league on 27 points and equal sixth place.

My congratulations go to Iain Callender who finished as top goal scorer and to Stuart Moscrop and Jimmy Clark who received the most man of the match awards from the opposition.

All that is left is for me to give special thanks to Bobby Lees, Gladys McClymont, Kerrie Currie, Iain Callander and John Bennett for umpiring our games, without you our games couldn’t go ahead.

A thanks to everybody that played for Dumfries this season with a special mention to Stuart Moscrop, who was the only player, other than myself, to have played every game this season. I wish Stuart Boulton all the best in his captain’s run for the next season.



%d bloggers like this: