Cricket: APD Dumfries miss out on Scottish Cup Semi-Final

1 07 2010

Scott Beveridge took 3 wickets in the Scottish Cup match

On Sunday APD Dumfries lost their first ever Scottish Cup quarter-final match, away against Division one side Stoneywood-Dyce. Dumfries scored 179 with forties from Tom McBride and Josh Geary and, despite three wickets from Scott Beveridge, the Aberdeenshire side hit the winning runs with five wickets left and overs to spare.

Having playing at home on the Saturday it was a bleary eyed APD Dumfries that set off in the minibus at six in the morning for the marathon trip to play beside Aberdeen Airport. Then on arrival Stoneywood-Dyce put the Dumfries side in to bat.

Against a tight opening attack openers Tom McBride and Russell Johnston had reached 22 when Johnston was bowled by Scotland all-rounder Stander. Andy Parkinson came in to join McBride as the pair were made to work hard for their runs. After 25 overs the total was 68 for 1.

Then the heart of the batting line-up fell as four wickets were lost in eight overs as first Parkinson was bowled by Gill. Then McBride was caught off the same bowler for a fine 47 as he was in process of accelerating the scoring. Two more wickets went to the bowling of Ninan and Dumfries were in difficulties on 104 for 5 off 33 overs.

Josh Geary and Andrew Batty then mounted a salvage operation with a sixty run partnership over the next ten overs. However overs were running out. Geary was stumped for 46 and Batty was bowled by Stander for a fine APD Dumfries debut innings of 27. The final couple of overs went spare as Stander bowled two more batsmen and Redhead bowled another to end the Dumfries innings on 179 all out.

Dumfries needed a special start to set Stoneywood back and Geary again took a wicket in his first over, keeper Cross taking the catch. He was followed by McCutcheon getting Coetzer caught at slip during a fine spell of bowling that kept Dumfries in the game.

At 28 for 2 there was optimism for Dumfries but Stander came in to join Crowley to set his side on track with his first five scoring shots all boundaries including two sixes. He survived a chance in the twenties and the pair took the score to the hundred mark with Goodin and Beveridge brought into the attack. Beveridge then accounted for both in two overs. Stander was out for 41 to an sharp caught and bowled and then Crowley was caught for 35. At 110 for 4 there was still hope for the visitors.

However youngster Leask and Walters put paid to that thought by batting steadily and then accelerating to a sixty run partnership over the next ten overs. Leask was caught by Brotherstone off Beveridge for 45 with a handful of runs needed and Walters finished 27 not out to put Stoneywood-Dyce into the Scottish Cup semi-finals for the first time in their history.

The honorary Dumfries Man of the Match award goes to Dumfries Squash Club’s Peter Allan who manfully took on the task of driving the minibus to Aberdeen and back and endured the snoring on the way up and the singing on the way back.

Match Scoreboard: Scottish Cup Quarter-final at Stoneywood-Dyce
Stoneywood-Dyce beat APD Dumfries by 5 wickets
APD Dumfries 179 all out (49 overs)
T McBride 47, J Geary 46, A Batty 27, J Stander 10 overs 4 for 23
Stoneywood-Dyce 180-5 (35.4 overs)
M Leask 45, J Stander 41, S Beveridge 9.4 overs 3 for 55



%d bloggers like this: